I just thought it would be fun to post an old essay that I wrote
last year for my English class at Metro.
I got a 96 on this!! : )
Grace Waldo G. Waldo 1
ENG 1010
05 April 2007
Essay 2 Final Draft
The Day I Almost Missed Tomorrow
ENG 1010
05 April 2007
Essay 2 Final Draft
The Day I Almost Missed Tomorrow
My family and I were on vacation in western Wyoming when we decided to go for a swim in the Snake River. We drove to an isolated spot and after the boys grabbed their fishing poles, my family headed out. I stayed behind for a moment, totally engrossed in a book, but that didn’t last for long. The lure of a river swim was too much to resist and I soon left my book to join my family.
As I carefully scrambled down the sharp incline, I lost my footing several times and slid to insure my safe landing. Finally, I made it to the bottom and scanned the view. Small, smooth river rocks stretched over the entire ground reaching up to the waters’ edge. After the spring meltdown, water had flowed over the stones, but now the river was much narrower. I looked down at my bare feet and hoped I could make it across the expanse to the water without completely bruising my feet on the rocks. As I took a careful step forward, I knew right away that it was going to be a long tedious journey to the river. A sharp pain shot through my feet as I struggled to keep my balance. Finally, after what seemed like ages, I reached the edge of the riverbed. I carefully sat on the uncomfortable rocks and massaged my sore feet.
The stream looked cool and inviting. After my feet began to feel normal again, I stood up and stepped out into the freezing water. To my dismay, the very same stones that I had just injured my feet by walking on, covered the bottom of the river! I quickly decided that I if I planned to walk on my feet the next day, I had better think of another way to enjoy the water.
First, I tried crawling on my hands and knees, but that only made it worse! Then I figured out that if I lowered myself onto my stomach, I could float, gripping the stones with my fingers. I pulled my body into deeper water and let current take me with it. My brother Isaac joined me as I floated lazily downstream, head first, with legs behind. It was all fun until I tried to stand up and found it was impossible to touch the bottom! I knew right away that I had better get out of the current as soon as possible.
However, when I tried to swim toward the shore, I got no closer. We both began to swim as hard as we could, but we were only being swept further downstream. The current was much stronger than either of us and my arms were getting tired. There was no use trying not to panic, I was terrified. I screamed for help with all I had, but no one could do anything for me! If I did not get out of the current within the next 10 seconds, I knew I never would. Many terrible thoughts and emotions ran through my head in that instant. “What will happen to me if I don’t get out of this? Where is Isaac? He is going to die too! Is this the last time I will see my family? Am I ready to meet God?” When I was sure that I was done for, my feet hit bottom. A surge of hope rushed through me! With some fast maneuvering, I was able to get a grip on the rocks with my feet and escape the current. I looked behind me, and saw that Isaac had also found safety.
The flood of relief that washed over me did not last for long. I heard my parents screaming and yelling; I looked 100 yards further down the river and saw my two youngest brothers
struggling to stay above the surface; the current was successfully carrying them away. I was horror-struck! This couldn’t be happening! I could not be losing my little brothers!
Two fishermen who had witnessed the scene unfold, began to run down alongside the river with my dad. They yelled at Nate and Micah to swim closer towards shore, but they were not able to break away from the powerful current. I knew that they were goners and I began sobbing. I felt utter anguish that reached way down inside, tearing my heart in two! As I was thinking about how I would never see my brothers in this world again, a miracle happened.
They somehow were able to swim out of the current and into shallow water!
struggling to stay above the surface; the current was successfully carrying them away. I was horror-struck! This couldn’t be happening! I could not be losing my little brothers!
Two fishermen who had witnessed the scene unfold, began to run down alongside the river with my dad. They yelled at Nate and Micah to swim closer towards shore, but they were not able to break away from the powerful current. I knew that they were goners and I began sobbing. I felt utter anguish that reached way down inside, tearing my heart in two! As I was thinking about how I would never see my brothers in this world again, a miracle happened.
They somehow were able to swim out of the current and into shallow water!
I don’t know how it happened and I don’t know how I suddenly found safety either, but I DO know that God was in complete control of the situation. He had protected our lives! God was there with our family and did not allow anything to happen to us that day.

Because you have made the Lord, who is my refuge,
Even the Most High, your dwelling place,
No evil shall befall you,
Nor shall any plague come near your dwelling;
For He shall give His angels charge over you,
To keep you in all your ways.
In their hands they shall bear you up,
Lest you dash your foot against a stone.
Psalm 91:9-12
Awesome... Praise GOD!
ReplyDeletePeace! --Jacob
Wow... Ididn't know you were such a good writer! Why didn't you have me read that before?
ReplyDeleteGreat job dear!
Dear....it's been FOREVER since you posted...and it's not because you have nothing to post about. Get busy!!!!!!
ReplyDeletelol